Around the equator in 11 days

Noah Walker, Reporter

Many students dream of traveling the world. For a lucky group at U-High, their traveling dreams recently became a reality. Over spring break, Spanish four and five students embarked on an endeavor to Ecuador, Isabela, Santa Cruz, San Cristobal Island and the Galapagos Islands. While on their trip, they were able to experience the South American culture firsthand.

“It was an amazing experience,” junior Jess Huber said. “The trip to Ecuador was a great way to be immersed in a different culture.”

Food is an essential part of any culture. Students got to try many delicacies including guinea pig.  The domestic guinea pig plays a key role in the folk culture of many Indigenous South American groups, especially as a food source. It is also used for folk medicine and in community religious ceremonies.

“It was nice trying something different,” Huber said. “The food there was good. They had freshly squeezed juices and the food was very healthy.”

Sightseeing was the prime activity during the students’ excursion. Touring Isabela, Santa Cruz, San Cristobal Island and the Galapagos Islands, students saw what was offered south of the equator. In Isabela, they trekked up a volcano to viewpoints. In San Cristobal, they visited the beautiful, clean beaches.

“The islands were spotless,” senior Brendan Wall said. “The people there have a lot of respect for their environment.”

While in Ecuador the students had many opportunities to practice their Spanish.

“The students were able to speak quite a bit of Spanish,” Spanish teacher Angelica Delatorre-Im said. “They really enjoyed the experience that some may never have.”

By traveling to markets in Ecuador’s capital, Quito, students had the opportunity to interact and barter with local merchants in the native language.

“The locals were very accommodating with their Spanish,” Wall said. “All and all the trip taught me a lot about other cultures and how, in America, we need to practice more cultural tolerance towards non-English speakers.”