Setting a course for success

Sophomore Tony Palumbo blasts his drive at IHSA State Finals at Weibring G.C.s hole no. 14.

Photo by Brian Fry

Sophomore Tony Palumbo blasts his drive at IHSA State Finals at Weibring G.C.’s hole no. 14.

Brian Fry, Reporter

It all started mid-August when head coach Darrin York chose one freshman, three sophomores, one junior, and one senior for the boy’s golf team. York set high expectations and plans to maintain them for years to come.

“Our goal every year is to get to the State Championship and we definitely accomplished that this year,” York said.

Lone senior on the team, Alex Totten, has been in the program for four years. This was his first year on varsity.

Totten’s JV experience prepared him for the competition he would see at the varsity level.

“Going into freshman season I hadn’t played in a golf tournament,” Totten said. “JV prepped me for varsity by giving me tournament experience.”

York isn’t worried about next year’s tryouts and making cuts to the team.

When we start the season, each player has an opportunity to make the top six. How hard they work during the summer will dictate what happens during tryouts,” York said.

The team won Conference and Regionals and went on to second at sectionals to the Morton Potters, who have won the last two years.

The team had many accomplishments as a whole, but sophomore Tony Palumbo had two very big achievements this season.

“My biggest accomplishments this year were winning Conference and Regionals,” Palumbo said. Palumbo shot a 73 at Conference and a 75 at Regionals to win individually both times.

York said the team had a competitive schedule which helped them place at the level that they did. Their season consists of many tournaments that allows them to compete against teams from all three classes, and because of this they can compete at a high level.

The team placed tenth in the State Finals after many thought they would be a contender for a top spot.

I truly felt that we were playing well enough to win the golf tournament,” York said. “Finishing in the top three and earning a trophy would have certainly been a nice finish to our season, but ultimately we play each tournament to win.”

The team will continue to practice during the offseason to improve their game. Despite team practices after school, many players spend time individually working on their skills, particularly Palumbo.

“In the off season I will work on my mental game the most, that’s the weakest part of my game,” Palumbo said.

Totten wants his team to be successful in the years to come.

“I would tell them to keep working hard and that there is nothing stopping them from having an even better season next year and the years after that,” Totten said.

York said he has big plans for his program for the years to come. U-High boy’s golf won the state tournament seven years in a row from 2003-2009 and York hopes to get back to that point soon.

“We will be competing for the Intercity, Conference, Regional, Sectional, and the State Championship titles next year,” York said.