Time for an (ex)change

Alberto Testa was an integral player on the Pioneer soccer team this fall.

Photo by Hannah Foley

Noah Walker, Reporter

After his mother showed him an exchange brochure in September of 2014, Alberto Testa was determined to come to America.

The process for becoming an exchange student can be very long and difficult.

“The program had 1,300 spots, but more than 8,000 people applied,” Testa said.

Testa went through rigorous tests to evaluate his psychological state in addition to filling out curriculum about himself, his family, and school. After three critical interviews with the AFS Intercultural Program alumni, Testa was informed in February 2015 he was accepted into the exchange program.

This process lasted six months. Testa said the toughest thing for him as an exchange student is thinking, reading, and writing in English, but he is excited because there is always room learn and become better.

Testa said he did not have much knowledge regarding America’s culture prior to arriving.

“I just imagined America was how every movie described it,” Testa said. He added that one of the biggest surprises was the difference in the drinking age in the States.  Where Testa comes from in Italy the drinking age is 16.

Taking advantage of all that America offers, Testa enjoys the time he spends with friends, family and teammates. He has traveled quite a bit since living here including going to Green Bay, WI to watch the Packers, St. Louis, MO to catch some Cardinals games, and sightseeing in Chicago.

“I think America is amazing but not perfect, nothing can be perfect and we all know that.” Testa said.

Testa said he makes new friends every day and loves how everyone is friendly towards to him. He will always remember the friends and memories he made but one thing he will never forget are the soccer team and Homecoming festivities.

In addition to experiencing American high school, Testa was able to play soccer, helping the soccer team to an historic 24-1-1 season.  Testa contributed by helping the team find balance in the midfield.

“A good midfield is an essential key to winning games,” senior Robbie Lopez said. “He caught on quick, and others started playing up to his level.”

Within the first week of the season, Testa adapted to the new playing style despite coming from a different soccer background.

“We (in the States) play in a different way with more strategies and tactics while in Italy, high school soccer doesn’t have them,” Testa said. “It was difficult to get used to, but at the end, it was fine. I really enjoyed playing with the team and those amazing guys.”