Interns prepare to teach

Bailey Larsen, Reporter

After a semester of observations and getting to know the students, the ISU interns will begin teaching next semester.  

This year U-High is hosting seven interns in English, Social Science, Math, and Science.

Social Science intern Evan Comerford’s own high school experience mirrors that of a busy U-High student. In high school, Comerford played baseball, soccer, and was a thespian.

Comerford didn’t know he wanted to be a teacher until his sophomore year of college but said he is now motivated to teach for “the cash and the students and the high fives.”

While Comerford never thought about being a teacher in high school Anna Maxwell is a fourth generation teacher.

“It’s in my blood,” Maxwell said.

Maxwell’s family told her not to become a teacher because of the pay and the difficulty in finding a job, but she decided she wanted to teach her junior year of high school.

Maxwell knew she could teach when she was tutoring a troubled student.

“I love the aha! moments,” Maxwell said. She recalled advising her high school self not to be shy, “Branch out, make some friends, make a fool of yourself!”

Both Comerford and Maxwell say they would prefer to teach at U-High, but will take a job anywhere they can find one. Comerford said he is also considering a program that would take him to Asia to teach English for one to two years.

Science intern Cal Hackler agreed that he would like to teach at U-High.

“It’s a community,” Hackler said. “Freshmen know upperclassmen personally. It’s a small feel with a bigger school,”

Comerford and Hackler each had a piece of wisdom to share with students.

“Have more fun,” Hackler said. “Do what you’re supposed to, but spend time with friends.”

Comerford’s advice was more focused on the classroom.

“Be nice to teachers because Karma is real,” Comerford said.

Additional interns seen around the building include English interns Kristina Austin and Ayanna Guzman, and Math interns Sari Farekas and Joshua Speer.