U-Link: A helping hand

Director of the U-Link Nancy McCain shines her welcoming smile.

Ressa Crubaugh

Ressa Crubaugh, Reporter

Over the years as a U-High student, most people have been to the U-Link for one thing or another. Whether it be to study, eat lunch, or take tests, the U-Link is integral for the academic success of students.

In 2015, Nancy McCain replaced former U-Link director Dr. Tami Dean. McCain  previously worked as an intervention crisis teacher, a teacher for deaf junior high students, a supervisor for deaf teachers, and many other occupations. She strives to make the U-Link an accepting and friendly place.

“It’s very welcoming,” junior and U-Link mentor Caroline Pickering said. “Mrs. McCain knows everyone and is always interested in your life.”

As hard-working as McCain is, she can’t do everything by herself. This is where the 22 student mentors provide help, specializing in different subjects and helping as many students as they can.

“There’s always a lot of volunteers.” McCain said. “Sometimes scheduling the ISU mentors can be a challenge.”

The U-Link also works closely with the administration to help students who are struggling, academically, or emotionally. Every tuesday, McCain meets with principal Andrea Markert, assistant principal Steve Evans, Lester Hampton, and the counselors to discuss students who are struggling.

“We find that there’s students who are struggling with their grades and there’s probably a reason,” Evans said. “When you assign them to the U-Link, that helps persuade them that hard work and time management skills will go a long way.”

If you ever need a place to go for anything academic, make sure you keep the U-Link in mind, because you’ll find a welcoming and peaceful place to work.

“Mrs. McCain truly does care for her student’s success, and she feels their failures.” Evans said.