Witnessing history at Inauguration and Women’s March

Photo courtesy of Kellen Amble

The US Capitol was draped in American flags for the inauguration of Donald Trump.

Billy Mote, Reporter

January 20th, 2017 was not a normal Monday for sophomore Nathan Clay and senior Kellen Amble. Both students traveled with their families to watch the Inauguration of the 45th President of the United States, Donald J. Trump. Thousands of Americans traveled to the country’s capital to see the historic day in person, an event that only happens every four years.

“My whole family was pretty excited about having the opportunity to watch this event,” Clay said. “It was something that I will never forget.”

Amble was beyond thrilled to travel to D.C. to show support for our the President, spending the day trying to get as close to the action as possible.

“It’s not everyday you get to see such a historical moment for our country,” Amble said. “I was honored to have the chance to see everything in person.”

Amble and Clay’s families had a long day, waking up at 3:00 am to take the metro train to the outside gates, then waiting for five hours to enter the Inauguration. After the event, Amble moved over to the Women’s March.

This whole process was well worth it to Amble, and he said that he probably wouldn’t do it for any other person except Trump.

“It was a very tiring experience. We had a rough day standing around for hours,” Amble said, “But I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

According to Clay, being able to see the way the event unfolded with his own eyes made him realize how different the media portrayed the event and the atmosphere. To him, it was a crowd of people going to celebrate the results of the election, bringing a feeling of hope and happiness with it.

“Although I was only there for the first day, the media had a very negative outlook on Trump, and different from what I saw.” Clay said.

Whether it was catching an early train, or standing in line for hours, the experience was something that neither family will ever forget.

“I loved every second of it,” Amble said. “It was a surreal day, overall.”