Rising star

Savannah Remkus will continue her gymnastics career at Illinois State University.

Reiman, Amy

Reiman, Amy

Drew Johnson, Reporter

From the age of three, senior Savannah Remkus has put her heart into gymnastics. This sport has brought her to a dream to reality: she will be an All-Arounder for the Illinois State University gymnastics team. Remkus will be attending as a Division I athlete and continuing to live out her dream.

Her determination came at a price, giving up school events and some social time.

“While I had to give up a lot, I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world,” Remkus said.

Remkus overcame pain, and some injuries including sprains and tendonitis.

“I’m proud to stay I am one of few people to stick through the rough times in order to be great,” Remkus said.

At age eight, she was invited to be a member of the Rising Stars Academy gymnastics team and has been a committed competitor ever since.

Remkus averages 20 hours a week of practice in the gym to assure a spot to compete and rank at regional and state competitions.

“I made it to every state and regional competition I was eligible for and I was a level six, seven and eight State Champion,” Remkus said, sometimes winning out of as many as 150 gymnasts from the state of Illinois. Remkus’ specialty is beam, winning first in beam in at both the seven and eight levels.

Remkus knew she officially accomplished her goal the first day of her senior year when ISU made their scholarship offer.

“When I got the offer from ISU, I expected to be overly excited, but instead it was more of a feeling of complete relief,” Remkus said.

As she looks back on her years of hard work, her mom is a big part of her journey.

“My mom is who I credit for most of my success,” Remkus said. “From supporting me as a human to making sacrifices in her personal life to travel with me and always put my goals first,” Remkus said.

Now that competition season has come to an end, she is in the gym preparing for her next chapter as a gymnast.