Young and rejuvenated: preview of winter sports

Joe Brown, Reporter

Boys Basketball

Coach Andrew McDowell is looking to improve the team’s record from 11-19 overall and 7-11 in the conference, to winning records. And he feels like he has to team to do it.

“I have a different team this year, we have a lot of guys with varsity experience and that are comfortable in the new conference. We were in the middle of the conference last year with a lot of close games,” McDowell said.

In fact, this year’s varsity team consists of several upperclassmen with previous varsity experience, including two junior transfers who are ready to make a positive impact on the team.

Senior Keenan Portis said he is feeling great about the up and coming basketball season as well.

“I feel like we have a really good team this year, and every player is ready to play as a team and not just for their individual benefits.”

U-High boys basketball is already looking better, starting off the year 3-3.  Go check them out at their first regular season game on December 7 against Rochester at 7:30pm.

Girls Basketball

Last year, the girls basketball team was 11-19.  Coach Laura Sellers said she is calling that a “rebuilding” year.  

“Hopefully you get a little better each year,” Sellers said.

Senior Abby Klein, the lone senior on the team, said the team is building chemistry.

“I feel like we click well together as a team,” Klein said. “Most of us have been playing with each other since we were on junior varsity, so we know each other’s strengths and weaknesses.”

Klein  is ready for the challenge of improving the record this year, and she thinks her team is too.

“I think we work harder in practices and are more motivated to win games this year,” Klein said.

This girls basketball season is an important one.You can go out and support them at their regular season home game on December 18 at 7:30pm.

Wrestling

Coach Mike Troll  has no doubt in his team’s ability to compete this year. He said he likes what the team is building for the future.

“This team has a lot more experience than last year with several returning athletes,” Troll said. “And the freshman that came this year have good experience that we can work with.”

Junior Nolin Dale is confident in his team and teammates this year.

“We have some talented freshman and everyone is working hard so far,” Dale said.

This year’s team is very determined to improve themselves and to all be on the same page.

“Everyone knows what they need to do and we have much better focus this year,” Dale said.

This young and motivated team is ready to compete in every match this year, so go out and support at their home meet on January 12 at U-High at 9 am.

Swimming

Lone Senior Josh Nepomuceno is feeling nervous and excited about the up and coming swim season.

“Being the only senior this year I’m feeling a bit more pressure than previous years, but i’m excited for my final swim season at U-High,” Nepomuceno said.

The swim team is pretty young this year, but has several new contributors to the team.

“We have 19 swimmers this year, which is six or seven more than last year’s team,” Nepomuceno said.

Junior James Hess is also excited and very confident in his team this year, despite losing three D-1 swimmers that graduated last year.

“We are still bringing back a lot of strength,” Hess said.

The swimmers are looking to make a splash. So try to check them out at their next meet on December 11 against Urbana High School at 6 pm in ISU Horton Pool.