Online learning still a ‘Life Skill’

Sydney Lynch, Reporter

The pandemic changed how we think about online learning. It emphasized the many different ways and different levels of student learning. Some students learn better in person while others prefer learning online in the comfort of their own home and on their own schedule.  

Seniors Payton Lanier, Karsen Brown, and Allie Zastrow seniors all had different experiences with online classes this year. Currently they are taking an online class called Life Success, a class the counselors taught last year but which was only available online this year. Some of the topics covered in this class include job interest surveys, cover letters, resumes, positive mindset, and other topics designed to help students be successful in college and beyond.

“I don’t think that it’s necessary to take online classes unless you have to,” Brown said.”It makes me procrastinate more and I feel like I don’t get anything done efficiently.”

On the other hand Lanier enjoyed the freedom of online learning. 

“I think it’s (online classes) beneficial because it gives the freedom that some colleges offer,” Lanier said. “You get to work at your own pace and get your assignments done when you have time.” 

Although they have different opinions they are still enrolled in the course and trying their absolute best to do what they can with their given situations. 

“I don’t like taking online classes because personally I forget about the class if I’m not physically at the class,” Zastrow said. “So then I forget to do the work. But at the same time I do like being able to go at my own pace.” 

Some students have trouble with the time that an online course can take. Questions also arise about how to communicate with teachers in an online learning environment.  

“I could email my teacher and not even get a response back versus if I have an in person class I could just go up to the teacher and ask and I’d have my answer right away,” Brown said. 

Zastrow reiterates that online classes are not for everyone. 

“I think it (the decision) would have to be based on people’s learning styles, preferences, and student schedules,” Zastrow said.