Running to stay on beat

Music instructors Chris Corpus and Jason Landes ready themselves for the Chicago Half Marathon.  This was Landes first time running at the popular destination.

Photo courtesy of Chris Corpus

Music instructors Chris Corpus and Jason Landes ready themselves for the Chicago Half Marathon. This was Landes’ first time running at the popular destination.

Laura Dulee, Reporter

Running the music program isn’t the only running Jason Landes and Chris Corpus are involved in. Marathons, half-marathons, and 5k’s form the running rhythm for the band and chorus teachers.

Landes started running seven years ago.  Like many runners, he could only go for a while without having to stop and walk. However, now he has progressed to make each mile a little bit easier. Having never run before he decided he was up for a new adventure.

“When you start running you don’t think it’ll be fun, but by the time it becomes easier it is enjoyable,” Landes said.

Corpus and Landes share a similar track record, neither ran in high school and would never have imagined they would be where they are today. Corpus started running 13 years ago to just simply “get in shape.”

“Now it has turned into a therapeutic way to unwind every day since it is so different from the music room scenery,” Corpus said.

Another commonality the two share is where they run: typically on the Constitution Trail. When the weather turns cold however, they retreat inside to the treadmill.

Finding time to fit in a good run is difficult because of their busy music and family schedules. Landes finds the time in the morning.

“Running every day adds to a more disciplined lifestyle,” Landes said. “It’s something about being there with me, my thoughts, and some music.”

With multiple running events throughout the area, runners easily find their favorite events. Landes said he loves running in Champaign in the Illinois Half-Marathon with his twin brother. It gives them a good destination to meet up and spend the weekend together.

Corpus has been involved in two events in more exotic locations including half marathons in Napa Valley, California along Killarney, Ireland.

“The views were breath-taking, making the run all that more enjoyable,” Corpus said.

Corpus and Landes even ran in the Chicago Marathon at the same time. It was Landes’ first time and Corpus’s fourth.

“I am constantly having to sign up for my next race,” Corpus said. “That way I stay motivated to continue training.”

Corpus prefers to run with her running buddy, or jamming out to the music suggestions she got from her concert choir class. The lineup of songs includes reggae, jazz, pop, and even songs in different languages.

When she isn’t enjoying the choir’s suggested playlist, she listens to upbeat pop music.

“I want every song to be a surprise and to take my mind off of the running,” Corpus said.

Both credit their running with a healthy lifestyle, an alert mind, and a sense of accomplishment that is different than the musical accolades they both enjoy.