Competitive ping pong takes over library

Sophomores Ben Bazan and Dalton Bates face off against Chris Voegele and  Ashton Croff in Ping Pong Doubles.

Photo courtesy of Gretchen Zaitzeff

Sophomores Ben Bazan and Dalton Bates face off against Chris Voegele and Ashton Croff in Ping Pong Doubles.

Laura Endsley, Reporter

Students are gathering around tables in the library to watch sophomores Benjamin Bazan and Brian Cordero along with many others play ping pong during their free time.

According to Cordero, the idea formed from a group of sophomore students wanting something to do before and after school.

“They looked at me across the library while playing for the first time, [they] raised their eyebrows wondering if it was okay so I let them,” Library Media Assistant, Gretchen Zaitzeff said.

Some days there are more students who participate than others according to Zaitzeff.  It can range anywhere from just two guys playing, to the library being full with students watching.

“They were getting a little out of hand so I told them they were only allowed to use two tables,” Zaitzeff said.

Over time, the activity has been taken more and more seriously. Students originally started by throwing ping pong balls into cups.  Soon after, the cups became the net and 2 tables were pushed together to create a larger table.

According to Cordero, Sophomore Chris Voegele supplied ping pong paddles from home and bought a net to put across the two tables in order for the game to become more competitive.

“Things got more interesting when more people joined, more competitive than I,” Cordero said while laughing.

Many students are involved in multiple extracurricular activities causing more people to play certain days than others.

Cordero is involved in speech, soccer, and chess club while Bazan participates in golf and tennis.

“Playing tennis has really improved my ping pong game,” Bazan said.  “Ping pong is very relaxing and a very stress free game and a great way to start my morning.”