Farewell to a fitness guru

Veteran teacher Vicki Mayer-Morris will retire this month.  She will be missed.

Photo by Sarah LaFayette

Veteran teacher Vicki Mayer-Morris will retire this month. She will be missed.

Sarah LaFayette, Reporter

Vicki Mayer-Morris has taught at U-High for 30 years, and at the end of the semester she will retire. Morris plans to spend more time with her family.

Morris has taught many different classes over the years including Activities, Personal Fitness, Advanced Personal Fitness, and adapted PE for students with disabilities.

Morris said she has many pleasant memories but the ones that stand out are the ones from her adapted PE classes.

“We transferred kids and went canoeing at Lake Bloomington and went sledding at U-High,” Morris said.

Coming to work for U-High was a no-brainer for her for many reasons. She knew that U-High had a great reputation, great students.  The size was also a benefit.

“U-High is your family, you can rely on people you work with,” Morris said. “They are more than just co-workers.”

Morris said getting through the hard times of teaching is better with the staff at U-High.

“I loved it and had a passion for it,” Morris said.

One of many students impacted by Morris’ passion for teaching was senior Kylie Personette. “I feel like I can talk to her about anything, like I would talk to a friend,” Personette said.

Morris has influenced countless students over her 30 year tenure.

“Mrs. Morris has taught us the importance of maintaining a good and healthy lifestyle through nutrition and exercise,” junior Sydney Auth said. “I’m really going to miss her in class.”

“I am blessed to be retiring at an early age, I am still going to work because I have energy and I’m still young,” Morris said.

Morris said the best life lesson she learned at her time at U-High is to surround yourself with people who are examples and good role models.

Morris’ last day will not be like any other day.

“Even though it will be finals, it will be a celebration,” Morris said.