Representing U: debate over pioneer mascot

Mary Spaulding, Editor, Reporter

The most debated issue at the U right now revolves around one of the school’s most traditional images: the pioneer mascot.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

It started when senior David Phipps proposed a U-Crew t-shirt design to Bob Fitzgerald, faculty adviser for the U-Crew. The proposed design features the face of a male pioneer under the slogan, “Still Blazin’ the Trail.”

“I sent it [the proposed design] off to administration for approval, but received word back that it was not approved because we are no longer using the pioneer image,” Fitzgerald said.

The administrator who rejected the design was athletic director Wendy Smith, stating the design doesn’t adequately represent the diversity of U-High’s athletes.

“My biggest concern is when you start using gender or ethnic specific symbols,” Smith said. “I want to make sure that we’re representing our school as a whole and that we’re portraying U-High in the best light.”

Senior Duncan Terry, upset over the administration’s decision, decided to take matters into his own hands. Terry designed his own t-shirts featuring a pioneer and made them available for purchase for students.

“Many teachers and parents want shirts and students overall liked it,” Terry said. “The concern was less over the logo on the shirt, but rather the color of the shirt.”

Rumors about the future for the mascot have been flying around the school, the most popular one being that the pioneer will be eliminated by the school board-an organization that does not exist at U-High.

“I heard that some people on the school board wanted to change it,” freshman Lilly Culp said. “I don’t have a problem with it. My old school was the ‘Turks’ and anything is better than that.”

Members of student senate have taken over the discussion for the pioneer’s future, but for now, no decisions have been made. Fitzgerald and Smith want to encourage students to resist gossiping about the future of the pioneer. Rather, they ask that students with questions and concerns see administration for clarification.

The U-Crew shirt was redesigned, still featuring the slogan “Still Blazin’ the Trail.” The pioneer has been removed and replaced by the “U.” Despite frustration and poor communication, the amount of pioneer pride for past and present students alike is unwavering.

“I like being a pioneer,” Fitzgerald said. “It doesn’t matter to me what image reflects that, it’s not gonna change the fact that green and gold run through my blood and that I’m passionate about being a pioneer.”