Ready to dominate again

Brian Fry, Reporter

Rotary Interact is holding the annual dodgeball tournament, each year raising money for a different charity, and last year’s victor, White Lightning, is already preparing.

The team of sophomores, coached by junior John Gibson, has begun formulating their game plan.

“It [the game] shows teamwork, forces you to be reliable, forces you to show integrity, and forces you to be the best you you can be,” Gibson said.

Gibson remembers last year’s win vividly.

“When I looked my floor-captain in the eye, after we just upset the odds, first freshman team to win, I knew right there, that it would be forever,” Gibson said.

The team is confident they will go far this year, and are not worried about much, but they say they will respect one team.

“The senior team. You gotta respect it. There’s nothing to be afraid of, but the minute you lose respect is the minute you take it for granted,” Gibson said.

Rotary says the tournament will be held on March 19 this year, but White Lightning was originally told it would be in April or May, they didn’t like the idea of waiting.

“Hang on. April or May? Are you kidding me? Wow,” sophomore captain Tyler Orgler said. “That’s in the middle of baseball season,” Gibson said.

This year the money raised will be split between two organizations.

“This year our major charity is going to be one called The Promise Council. We are going to be splitting the money,” Rotary faculty sponsor Cassandra Graham said. “They’re going to be our main one, but then we’re also giving some to the Baby Fold, like we always have.”

The Promise Council works to give school supplies to underprivileged youth.

“If there’s a child at a school who is under privileged. They will buy them needed items,” Graham said.

The team plans to play in a couple “warm-up tournaments” before the big day. They even were looking at an event in Iowa.

Although they plan to put in work practicing and playing tournaments, Orgler says the concept is still as simple as ever.

“Throw the ball at the other team, get them out.”