Day of the Toupee

Donald Trumps visit to Bloomington brought out many Central Illinoisans, including juniors Matt Mosele and Ryan Poland who went to hear what he had to say.

Photo courtesy of Ryan Poland

Donald Trump’s visit to Bloomington brought out many Central Illinoisans, including juniors Matt Mosele and Ryan Poland who went to hear what he had to say.

Jon Rink, Reporter

The line stretched all throughout the extensive Synergy Flight Center facility on Sunday, March 13. Fueled by the outspoken business man turned politician, Donald Trump, thousands of energetic voters were drawn to Trump’s rally preceding the third Super Tuesday of the primary season.

The event attracted a wide range of political activists, including some of U-High’s own, many of whom are first-time voters who will be starting their voting lives off in an especially historic and exciting 2016 election.

“The leader we elect for our future could make or break us, and it feels pretty cool to help make that decision as a first-time voter,” junior rally attendee Billy Mote said.

Along with Mote, many of the other 195 students eligible to cast their vote in the Illinois primary and 2016 election are taking their new responsibility of political efficacy seriously. In many cases, this new found passion for politics can be attributed to the controversy surrounding this year’s presidential candidates, especially Trump.

“There are a lot of people saying a lot of things about him, and the only way to form my own opinion was to go and see him for myself,” junior Lake Williams said.

Trump’s blunt and strident words have incited fervor for both support and protest among the school population which has found its way into daily lunch table conversation, with some students taking even more drastic measures.

“We stayed up all night with no sleep in preparation for our early trip to the airport,” junior activist Ryan Poland said referring to Sunday’s rally. “We made the right choice getting there early.”

Poland’s efforts, along with junior Matt Mosele, paid off as they managed to work their way into the VIP section at the rally, giving them a front row view of the Don himself. Both were even pictured in the Chicago Tribune.

“The whole experience was surreal and awesome since we got to be part of a big 2016 election that will be remembered forever,” Poland said.

Several students also expressed their activism on the opposing side by protesting inside and outside of the rally. Seniors Patrick Deneen, Hayes Hundman, and Jose Mancias, junior Nia Gilbert, sophomore Henry Wissmiller, and freshman Paul Africano stayed outside while another group went in. Soon after they were peacefully escorted out.

“I don’t agree with some of the inappropriate comments Trump has made,” Hundman said. “We just wanted to voice our political opinions.”

Whether U-High student activists are for or against Trump, one thing is certain, they are welcoming their civic duty with open arms.