Soaring through the air

Noah Walker, Reporter

U-High is home to three dedicated pole vaulters, junior Katie Reeves and sophomores McKenna Sapp and Lauren Seaver. All three athletes are members of the Flying Dragons pole vault club and U-High track and field team.

Seaver began her vaulting career a year ago when her mother informed her about it.

“I wasn’t too sure of it at first but it sounded really interesting,” Seaver said. “I tried it out and really grew a love for it.”

Much like Seaver, Sapp loves the experience of vaulting which can send her soaring 10’6” in the air. Flying Dragons Pole Vaulting Club also travels across the U.S. to places such as Reno, NV and Charlotte, NC. This allows the girls to see great competition.

“It’s amazing all the different people you meet,” Sapp said. “It’s amazing to get personal record and I enjoy learning about things to make me better.”

Pole vaulting seems to be like no other sport. With a background in gymnastics and cheerleading, Seaver’s immense flexibility allows her to easily get over the bar.

“Gymnastics really helped, but it’s technique that matters the most,” Seaver said. “It’s all about body control and knowing where you are in the air.”

A sport like vaulting allows the athletes  to get better and they strive to beat their previous height.              

“The best part about vaulting is clearing a bar that you’ve never cleared before,” Reeves said.

Reeves enjoys the challenges that come with vaulting.

“It gets very frustrating at times and can become discouraging,” Reeves said. “Having teammates makes everything more fun, the three of us work real hard to motivate each other.”